Trevor Bauer was masterful in his home debut with the Reds, leading his new team to a 5-2 win over the division-leading Cubs. Featuring seven different pitches on the night, Bauer struck out 11 and allowed one run in seven innings. He generated 20 whiffs on the night, becoming the second Cincinnati pitcher to hit that mark this season. Luis Castillo has done it eight times.
On the offensive side, the Reds were powered by three home runs. Aristides Aquino, of course, hit another dinger to put the Reds in front for good in the second inning. No hitter who’s debuted with the Reds has more homers in their first nine career games.
Most home runs in a player's first nine career games, Reds history:
Aristides Aquino: 4
Josh Hamilton: 3
Jay Bruce: 3
Nick Senzel: 3
— Reds Content Plus (RC+) (@RedsContentPlus) August 9, 2019
Eugenio Suarez added a solo shot in the fourth, another mammoth blast (430 feet) that went into the upper deck in left field, and Joey Votto hit a vintage opposite-field shot (416 feet) in the sixth for insurance.
The win pulls the Reds back within seven games of the Cubs in the NL Central and four games back in the Wild Card.
Reds Most Valuable Players
- Trevor Bauer: .282 WPA (Win Probability Added) | 7 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 11 K
- Amir Garrett: .158 WPA | 1.0 IP, HBP, K (escaped bases-loaded jam in eighth inning)
- Aristides Aquino: .133 WPA | 1-for-3, HR, 2 RBI
Reds Least Valuable Players
- Michael Lorenzen: -.149 WPA | 0.0 IP, H, 2 BB
- Jesse Winker: -.051 WPA | 0-for-3, K
- Tucker Barnhart: -.032 WPA | 0-for-3
Play of the Game
- Aristides Aquino: .150 WPA | Two-run HR in 2nd inning
- Eugenio Suarez: 105.8 mph home run in 4th inning
- Joey Votto: 105.0 mph home run in 6th inning
- Josh VanMeter: 99.6 mph double in 2nd inning
- Aristides Aquino: 99.6 mph home run in 2nd inning
Luckiest Hit of the Day
- Nick Senzel: .170 xBA, 91.4 mph, -24° LA; Single
Unluckiest Out of the Day
- Nick Senzel: .590 xBA, 92.8 mph, -2° LA; Groundout
Highest Pitch Velocities by Pitcher
- Michael Lorenzen: 98.1 mph four-seam fastball
- Raisel Iglesias: 97.8 mph four-seam fastball
- Trevor Bauer: 96.0 mph four-seam fastball
- Amir Garrett: 87.1 mph slider