Trevor Bauer pitched an 8-inning masterpiece and Eugenio Suarez slugged two solo home runs, leading the Reds to a 3-1 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks. The win gave the Reds a series victory.
Trevor Bauer threw his best game of the season for the Reds, giving up just 4 hits and 1 walk over 8 innings. He struck out 9. Bauer’s hardest pitch of the game – 97.7 mph – was his pitch #108. He threw 117 pitches total.
Eugenio Suarez hit solo homers in the 4th and 6th innings, giving him 47 this season and tying him for the major league lead with rookie Peter Alonso of the Mets. Suarez’s second homer was 456 feet, the third longest of 2019 for the Reds. Josh VanMeter hit one 463 feet and Suarez had #2 at 457 feet.
Josh VanMeter also homered in the 4th inning. It was his 8th of the year and the first run the Reds had scored since the 5th inning of Friday’s game when VanMeter had hit homer #7. Other than the three home runs, the Reds offense didn’t do much.
Raisel Iglesias pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning, earning his career-best save #31. Iglesias has pitched 6 innings in September, facing just 19 batters. He’s allowed one hit, one walk and struck out 8 batters. His ERA is 0.00 this month.
Reds Most Valuable Players
- Trevor Bauer (.412 WPA) win probability added
- Eugenio Suarez (.254 WPA)
- Raisel Iglesias (.091 WPA)
- Josh VanMeter (.078 WPA)
Reds Most Valuable Hit
- Eugenio Suarez (.128 WPA) home run, 6th inning
- Josh VanMeter (.126 WPA) home run, 4th inning
- Eugenio Suarez (.126 WPA) home run, 4th inning
- Eugenio Suarez (108.9 mph) home run
- Aristides Aquino (106.7) line out
- Eugenio Suarez (105.4 mph) home run
- Aristides Aquino (105.4 mph) ground out
Highest Pitch Velocities by Pitcher
- Raisel Iglesias (97.7 mph)
- Trevor Bauer (97.6 mph)
[Featured image: https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1153653644597878784]